Our current building was consecrated in 1970, but worship began in Woolston long before then.
A commission set up by Cromwell’s parliament to survey the parishes and churches throughout the country decided that a church should be built within Woolston to serve the parishes of “Wilgreave, Martinscroft, Woulston, Fearneheade”as well as parts of “Poulton and Winwicke” At this time the people of the Woolston area would attend Warrington’s Parish church St. Elphins, the oldest church in the town.
A new parish church was built to serve the newly formed parish of Padgate. It was consecrated Christ Church on 26th September, 1893 by the then bishop of Chester, Dr. John Bird Summer. As well as the Padgate area, it also served Woolston and Orford.
Thanks to the generosity of a prominent local citizen, Mr. William Beamont, a church of England school was built in Woolston, at a cost of £1100, to serve the families of the hundred or so farmers and labourers who at that time made up the population of the village of Woolston.
A site for a church in Woolston in Manchester road near Martinscroft was offered by a Mr. Edward Dennett but nothing came of this.
The Bishop of Liverpool, Dr. Chavasse, visited Woolston to speak about proposals for a new church.
A Woolston Church Building and endowment Fund was set up.
The school building was licensed for worship as a Mission church to Christ Church. The altar was housed below a mock stained glass window in an annex separated from the schoolroom by a demountable wooden partition. The six-seater desks had tops that swivelled to form backrests thus converting into pews for the Sunday services. Evening Prayer was read each Sunday at 3:00pm, preceded by Sunday School at 2:30. Holy Communion was celebrated on the fourth Sunday of each month. The clergy from Christ Church officiated on these occasions.
Local businessman and philanthropist Mr. Edward Gorton donated the plot of land bounded by Hillock, Warren and Dam Lanes as a site for the church.
After several years of argument and discussion, the Revd. J.O. Colling, vicar of Padgate, had the plans accepted.
May: The first turf was cut by Miss C.M. Gorton, Mr. E. Gorton’s daughter.
September: The foundation stone was laid by Revd. J.O. Colling.
On Ascension Day, May 7th, the Church of the Ascension, Woolston was consecrated by The Bishop of Liverpool (later Archbishop of York) the Rt. Revd. Stuart Blanch.
Woolston finally had a church of its own. It had only taken 320 years!